Rose Village Lottum
The Dutch-Limburg village of Lottum is the rose village of the Netherlands. No less than 70% of Dutch rose production comes from this picturesque village. Everything in Lottum breathes roses: the Rosary (Rozenhof), the cycling and walking routes, the rose gardens and of course the biennial rose festival. On the initiative of the Rozenhof Lottum Foundation (Stichting Rozenhof Lottum), a walking route was set out in 2016 to commemorate Bishop Frans Schraven from Lottum. The 9.9 kilometer long Schravenpad (Schraven Trail) starts at the market square of Lottum and leads among other things along three chapels in Lottum, Huys Kaldenbroek and the river Meuse. The walk is signposted with route signs with the image of Mgr. Schraven.
The Rosary (Rozenhof)
The Rosary (Rozenhof) is located in the center of Lottum, near the market square. This rose garden with an area of 6,000 square meters is the only place in the Netherlands where almost all roses with the Dutch predicate “Excellence Rose” and almost all with the German predicate “ADR-Rose” stand together. Furthermore, there is an Excellence inspection garden in the rose garden. The roses that stand here are judged whether they qualify for the “Excellence Rose” designation. The Rosary is open every day from 1 May to 1 November from 10 am to 5 pm. Access to the rose garden costs € 2.50. For persons under the age of 18 the entrance is free.
Mgr. Schraven Rose
The bond between Bishop Frans Schraven and the rose village of Lottum where he was born and where his family played an important role as a tree and rose grower, is symbolized in the Schravenpad (Schraven Trail) with a special Mgr. Schraven rose planted in the Mgr. Schravenlaan in Lottum. The blood-red color of the rose is symbolic of the blood of the martyrs.
Saint Quirinus Chapel
A deed from 1651 shows the coat of arms of Lottum with Saint Quirinus depicted on it. Although his life history is not entirely clear, it is believed that this Roman soldier died in torture in 120 because he converted to Christianity. Christians were often persecuted in the first centuries of Christianity. The Saint Quirinus chapel was probably founded around 1638 by Jacob van den Hondskamp, church master of the parish Lottum and a devout man. He made an annual pilgrimage to the monastery of Sant Quirin of Nuyss (or Neuss), where the bones of Quirinus were kept in an abbey. The chapel was destroyed by war violence on November 23, 1944. The statue of St. Quirinus emerged from the rubble unharmed, only his lance was bent. In 1946 a new chapel was built with material from the destroyed parish church. This chapel wasn’t rebuild on the original location, but a few hundred meters further in the direction of the village center, on the junction of two roads.
Village of Roses
Around 1930, more than half of the Dutch garden roses were produced in and around the rose village of Lottum. In 1975, the village of about 2,000 inhabitants had no less than 120 rose nurseries. The Wielhouterveldweg not only runs along the rose fields that have given Lottum the fame as the ‘rose’ village of the Netherlands, but also offers a view on the Houthuizer Mill.
Holy Family Chapel
Houthuizen is one of the oldest hamlets of Lottum. During the 1940-1945 war, Houthuizen was almost spared from war violence. Out of gratitude for this, a devotional chapel was built in 1947. In the chapel is an image of the Holy Family: Joseph, Mary and Jesus. In the niche above the entrance is a statue of Henri Belletable, the founder of the arch-brotherhood of the Holy Family. This is in remembrance of the fact that this chapel was founded in the year in which the centenary was celebrated of its blissful death. The chapel is popularly called ’t Kapelke van Houteze and has its own board and volunteers who provide maintenance and decoration of the chapel and its surroundings. In May and October the rosary is prayed on Sunday afternoon in the chapel.
Halfway along the route you can relax at Castle Kaldenbroek, where Mgr. Schraven was born and where also a memorial place was arranged for him. The French appearance of the high medieval country house, next to an old ruin and a few farm outbuildings, is unmistakably attractive. On the estate of Castle Kaldenbroek you can enjoy the terrace that is located in the old Sheepfold, called Huys Kaldenbroeck. Here, healthy drinks, organic soups, pastries and various other delicacies are served daily on the terrace. Huys Kaldenbroeck opened her doors in 2011 to inspire people to a more conscious way of life. This beautiful place in the middle of an unspoiled nature immediately gives a feeling of history and eternity. The authentic place touches people on their quest for health and happiness.
Mgr. Schraven Memorial
The life and martyrdom of Mgr. Frans Schraven still make a big impression after so many years, especially here at Huys Kaldenbroeck, where the motto “Sharing makes happy” is being pursued. Consider the memory cross here as a tribute to this Lottum missionary. He was burnt alive in China on 9 October 1937 by the Japanese army, because he stood up for thousands of refugees on his mission and to protect women from sexual violence.
A striking element in the Meuse valley is the Houthuizer Mill, along the road to Lottum near the Verlengde Molenbeek. This new belt mill stands on the site of the Lottum windmill that was blown up in 1944. The mill was rebuilt in 2008 from the first stone on its former site (known since 1440) and resembles the destroyed one as much as possible. The vanes are now running regularly again thanks to enthusiastic volunteers. The mill is open from May to the beginning of October on Tuesday and Thursday from 1 pm to 5 pm and on Saturday from 11 am to 5 pm. Excursions by appointment. A water mill, known under the name “De Oliemolen” or “De Houthuizer Watermolen”, was also located here until 1917.
The way back to Lottum leads through the nature reserve Kaldenbroek to the banks of the Meuse with a panoramic view over four villages on the river.
This is one of the most beautiful places in Lottum: the confluence of the Molenbeek and the Siebersbeek. Both streams spring up in thousands of years old streams of the Meuse. The nature reserve, which is part of the Maascorridor, is one of the rare places where streams have retained their natural character. The area around the joint estuary is managed by Limburgs Landschap as nature reserve with galloways that are present all year round and ensure the natural variation of the nature reserve.
Castle De Borggraaf
At the end of the walk you will pass Castle De Borggraaf, a small castle near the center of Lottum. It has four wings and a few outbuildings, including a beautiful gatehouse and a front fortress. The buildings are built around a courtyard. The castle was built around 1550. The square tower on the northeast corner was only added during the thorough restoration in 1926. De Borggraaf is now private property. During the Rose Festival the beautiful driveway, the castle garden and the courtyard of De Borggraaf are part of the festival.
- The walk is signposted with route signs with the image of Mgr. Schraven
- Tip for a stopover: Huys Kaldenbroeck
Pictures shot with
Canon EOS 750D
Geef een reactie